Many of us feel a great deal of stress during the holidays... The main reasons: (1) Expectations that are too high (2) Not enough time &/or money (3) Family drama (4) Too many activities / parties and the eating/drinking that goes hand-in-hand.
How to stop the madness? Here's a list of ideas that have worked for me....
- Simplify your holiday traditions for gift-giving, decorating and activities.
- Make a list.... and then mark off the things that really are not imperative.
- Learn to say no (na-da, no thanks, nope.)
- Ask for help.
- Focus on what you can control.
- Take a moment out of your day to focus on your breath.
- Go for a walk and enjoy nature, or enjoy the holiday decor in your neighborhood.
- Schedule time for whatever it is that you do to relax (yoga, meditation, exercise, relax in a bath.)
- Laugh (I mean really laugh - until you double over).
- Smile (whether you feel like it or not) Your body doesn't know the difference and pass your smile to others.
- Be grateful for what you have.
- Enjoy the beautiful, shining present... that is this very moment.